Note: Students and faculty should only use Jing if prompted to do so by a member of the Rowan Online Advanced Support Team.
Click on one of the following links for more information:
What is Jing?
Jing is a screen-capture tool that is free to use for Mac and PC user. Jing records your computer screen, mouse movements and even your voice, and then allows you to easily share it via email, Facebook or Twitter. For our purposes, Jing allows you to easily record the technical issue you are experiencing (i.e. I can't submit an assignment) and then share it with a member of the Rowan Online Advanced Support Team through your ticket in the Support Ticket System. Note: You can only record up to 5 minutes of onscreen video.
How to Download Jing onto Your Computer
Jing is product of Techsmith Corporation, and is available for free for both Mac and PC users.
- To download Jing, go to: http://www.techsmith.com/jing and click on Free Download.
- Depending on your operating system, click on Start Mac Download or Start Windows Download.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install.
How to Create a Recording of Your Computer Screen
- Once Jing is installed, hover your mouse over the yellow sun at the top of your screen.
- Click on the Capture icon. This is the icon with the cross-hairs on the left.
- Select an area of your screen to capture.
- You can select a window, part of a window, or click and drag the cross-hairs to select a region.
- Click on the Capture Video icon.
- When recording a video, note that if you have a microphone, you can narrate your video in addition to capturing the action on the screen. Videos are limited to 5 minutes in length for Jing.
- There is a 3-second countdown before you can start recording.
- The yellow filmstrip-like vertical bands start scrolling to indicate a recording is in progress.
- Once it starts recording, record the issue you are experiencing within the selected recording area.
- Click the Pause button to gather your thoughts or bring a new window or application into the recording area.
- Click the Restart button if you made a mistake and just want to start the recording over.
- Click Finish to conclude recording.
- When finished, click Finish.
- Your video is displayed in the Jing Preview window.
- In the Name textbox, type a name for your recording (i.e. 11/7/12 – Can’t upload assignment).
- Click on the Share via Screencast.com button.
- Note: Your recordings are stored for free on Screencast.com
- You will be prompted to login using your Screencast.com account. Enter in your user account information to proceed.
- If you do not already have a Screencast.com account, you will be required to create a Screencast.com account before proceeding.
- Your recording will upload to Screencast.com.
- When finished, click View on Screencast.com.
- Your video will open in your browser.
- IMPORTANT: To share with the Rowan Online Advanced Support Team, copy (Edit > Copy) the URL of your video and paste (Edit > Paste) it into your reply to your Support Ticket (either via email or through the Support Center in the Rowan Online Portal).
- Be sure to click Send (if an email) or Submit (if submitted through the Support Center in the Rowan Online Portal).
Helpful Video Tutorials by TechSmith